Thursday, February 14, 2008

Logos 3: Syntax Search on Louw-Nida Domains with Morphology

In a previous post, I showed how to search for all the words in a particular Louw-Nida domain using the Graphical Search Engine in BibleWorks7. As a follow up, someone asked about searching for a particular morphological feature of the verbs in this domain, and I showed how that is accomplished in BibleWorks7. It takes a number of steps to accomplish.
In response, Rick Brannan posted a neat video on the Logos blog showing how to do this search very easily using the in-development Lexham Greek-English Interlinear New Testament. That looks like it is going to be an excellent resource. But what are you going to do in the meantime? Rick has posted before on using the OpenText Syntax Search in conjunction with Louw-Nida, but I thought I would post a quick video showing how to look for all the verbs in the imperative mood that occur in Louw-Nida domain 25 which deals with attitudes and emotions. Click on the graphic to view the video (2.5Mb with sound, ~2 minutes)
In my next post, I will examine the relative strengths of BibleWorks7 and Logos3 in conducting such a search and compare the results that are generated.
BTW, does anybody know for sure how to pronounce "Louw"? Is it Low? Lou? Lau?

4 comments:

  1. I'm not positive, but I was taught low.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think its two syllables:

    Lω-oo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my profs who said that he knew definitively because of his relationship w the man said it was "Low"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think the pronunciation is Lwoo or Low. (the same to law)

    I think the pronunciation is Lau

    ReplyDelete